According to Jewish perspective, a true leader is someone who ascertains his/her basic values then emphasizes conduct that reflects those values. Our children are our leaders for the future, and to thrive as a community we need virtuous leaders. What are those values that we hope will support our children in their leadership roles? How will we guide them to lead with the core values that we as a Jewish community believe in? What values do we hope will be their guiding light and foundation?
Parents play a fundamental role in nurturing leadership qualities in children. In order to inspire these future leaders, truthfully examine yourself and reflect on the place where you are a leader at work, in your home or in your community.
- Can you name the values that reflect your leadership principles?
- Are your actions in your leadership role consistent with the values that you see as vital?
- Do the right thing, even when no one is watching.
- Take responsibility when they have done something wrong.
- Do things that reflect good citizenship.
- Listen to others and consider their thoughts and feelings.
Parents have opportunities everyday to enrich their children’s leadership skills. Using Jewish values as a foundation, we can guide our children to become honorable leaders in our society.
Want to teach Jewish values to children? Mussar for Children: Jewish Values for Everyday Living Curriculum is the only Jewish values for children program of its kind geared specifically for young children. Jewish values for children
©2015 The Mussar Institute
Photo by Cuteimage